Tuesday 28 October 2014

The Lunar Chronicles - Marissa Meyer

A forbidden romance.
A deadly plague.
Earth's fate hinges on one girl . . .
CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.
Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.
This is not the fairytale you remember. But it's one you won't forget.

-- Amazon.co.uk description of Cinder --


So a lot of people are raving about these series but I still had my doubts. I wasn’t  immediately convinced I wanted to read about a cyborg Cinderella. Though, I really do love fairy tale retellings like the Fables miniseries (which are comics I highly recommend) and the TV show Once Upon a Time. However, when I finally decided to read the series I couldn’t stop till I finished them all. I absolutely loved the Lunar Chronicles

Let’s start with Cinder. This is my least favourite book because it had some flaws even though it was entertaining and I really did enjoy it. My main problem with this book is that the huge plot twist was revealed way to early on. I hope this was the intention of Marissa Meyer because after that everyone with even half a brain cell knows what will happen in the end. That really pissed me off. Even if it had been way more subtle most people would still have known what was coming. So that part was disappointing. 

The only other reason I have for preferring the other books over this one is the that the other ones have more main characters and you see how everything begins to click. Everything that has been mentioned in Cinder is becomes relevant in the next books. I am really enjoying the Lunar Chronicles and I can’t wait till Winter comes out! Sadly, we have to wait more than a year for the final book. 

I am giving Cinder 4 stars out of 5. Scarlet and Cress both get 5 out of 5 stars! 
(I probably should give them extra points for their beautiful covers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment