Sunday 15 February 2015

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
--Goodreads.com description of The Duff--

I love this book! I was hoping to like this book but I ended up loving it. I read this book a few months ago and I still catch myself thinking about it a lot. So I decided to write a review. If you think that this book is going to be like the movie Mean Girls, you would be wrong. The Duff definitely treats the subject of being bullied and being told you're a loser just because of the way you look. But I found that part to be rather short in comparison with all the rest this book has to offer. 

The main character Bianca has a lot of family problems (I can relate to that even though my problems are not the same). She tries to find a way to deal with them but she doesn't want to burden her friends (plus, she probably doesn't want her friends to judge her parents either) so she keeps this a secret. But when something huge affects your home life you can't keep it bottled up. Therefore, Bianca seeks out a different way to cope with her problems and that just happens to be Wesley. The jerk that called her the DUFF in the first place.

A lot of things happen because of the choices Bianca makes. You see Bianca making the wrong decisions but you can understand why. Those bad decisions catch up with her and you get to see how she deals with that. 

This book was a lot of fun, also touching, romantic and dramatic. Bianca became one of my favourite characters of all time! She is funny, always knows something to say, loves her father and her friends unconditionally and I can relate to her, her problems and her solutions. 

This is one of my favourite books of last year and I give it 4 out of 5 stars! I'm looking forward to write a book to movie adaptation review, once the movie comes out. Granted, a first look at the trailer suggests that it will be nothing like the book, so keep an eye on this blog to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment