Saturday 21 March 2015

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...



-- Goodreads.com description --


Warning this review might contain spoilers for the Vampire Academy series!

After finishing The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, I decided to read her Bloodlines series as well. This series is told in the point of view of Sydney Sage, the alchemist who helped Rose out a number of times. Whilst reading the Vampire Academy series I didn't really have a special connection to her, she wasn't one of the characters that stood out. However, I did like her, especially in Last Sacrifice! Other characters known from the Vampire Academy series are focused on in this series, in particular Eddie, Jill and Adrian. Other beloved characters do show up from time to time in this series, which is quite fun to read about, especially because they now are described in a new and different way.

This book wasn't as action-packed as the previous series was. But to be fair, the first book in the Vampire Academy series wasn't like that for me as well. In my opinion, Bloodlines was a bit more slow and calm, because the author wanted to use this book primarily as a set up for the others to follow. However, I did get attached to Sydney very early on. I relate to her more than Rose, they are both kick-ass characters just in different ways. It is actually refreshing to have a smart heroine! And this time around, there was a major plot twist I didn't see coming. I had my suspicions but I never would have guessed it! I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it!

All in all, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. I liked it, it was a nice set up for the series and I am confident the next books are going to be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment