Saturday 31 October 2015

October 2015 Wrap Up

I only read five books this month. I started reading two more, which I almost finished but you will see them in my next wrap up. I had to read quite a lot for my university classes, which I do not mind all that much, however, those books put me into a little reading slump.




The first book I read this month was End of Days by Susan Ee, the third book in the Penryn and the End of Days trilogy. I really enjoyed, I think it was a right book at the right time kind of thing. I ultimately gave it 4 stars. Check out my review of the trilogy here.







Una Muchacha Muy Bella by Julian López was the second book I read this month. I had to read it in Spanish and it was horrible, I just couldn't get through it, so ultimately I decided to read the second half of the book in Dutch, and it was still horrible. I didn't like it all, especially the way the book was structured, the long sentences, and the fact that nothing really happens in the book. Not to mention the weird relationship the protagonist has with his mother. 2 stars. And I still think that's much.

The third book I read, was one I was required to read for my Canadian Literature class. So it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that it was a Margaret Atwood book. The Blind Assassin was my very first Atwood book, and it will definitely not be the last one either. I loved it! It took me the first hundred pages or so to get into the book, but after that I couldn't put it down (which was good because I finished it just in time for my class). 5 stars! I can highly recommend The Blind Assassin and Atwood won the 2000 Booker Prize for it, so what more do you need to be convinced to read it? If you want me to write a full review on The Blind Assassin, leave a comment down below!




Then I read Carrie by Stephen King, the perfect Halloween read! 4 stars! I really enjoyed it and I wrote a review on the book and a comparison of the two movies. You can check out the review here, and the comparison here!






The last book I read this month was for my literature class on Latin American contemporary authors. I needed to read this book in Spanish, but I did not have time to finish it in time, so I decided to read it in Dutch so I could at least follow the lecture. It really does feel like cheating to me. In the end I really liked the book, The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez, and I gave it 4 stars. It was the best book I've read for this course so far!

Which books did you read this month? Have you read any of the books in my wrap up? Let me know down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment