Tuesday 20 October 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Wishes I'd Ask The Book Genie To Grant Me

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is 10 bookish wishes you want the book genie to grant you. It's good a thing this is limited to 10 because I could go on forever.



1. More time to read

2. Get out of a reading slump faster

3. More money to buy books

4. More shelves to put my books on
Or have my own personal library inside my house, inspired by the library from the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast of course!

5. Let my local librarian reject less of my request books

This one really annoys me. Annoying is probably not a strong enough word to really describe how I'm feeling on this matter. I request books at my local library that I don't necessarily want to own, but I do really want to read. My problem is however that I love reading books in English instead of Dutch. Therefore I request these books in English but I don't really believe that's the reason for so many rejections. Let me give some examples: I requested Stolen by Lucy Christopher but it was rejected because and I quote: it was published in 2009. Okay, what the hell? I recently requested The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling, both were rejected because they didn't fit into the collection policy. However, I can't find a description of that policy anywhere. This frustrates me to no end. Also, this is why I need to buy so many books, because they're just not available in my library.

6. I would like Marissa Meyer to write more books in the Lunar Chronicles series

This is one of my favourite young adult series and I can't wait till Winter comes out. However, I have mixed feelings about it because it will be the end of the series.

7. I would like to travel back in time and meet Jane Austen and Shakespeare

It would be awesome to finally find out if Shakespeare really was the author of so many plays and poems. And it would also be amazing to meet Jane Austen and talk about her books and how she is still such a popular author 200 years later.

8. I would like to get my favourite books signed by Sophie Kinsella

I have one book signed by Sophie Kinsella, called Twenties Girl. I went to the book fair in Antwerp to buy Twenties Girl in English and have it signed. However, it was only available in Dutch so I snatched it up and had it signed. Now I regret not having bought one of her other books in English so this means I will have to go to another signing, which I actually don't mind at all!

9. I would like to go to an American or British book fair
I only know of two book fairs in my area and one of them is quite big, but usually hosts mainly Flemish authors. Not too many famous authors visit that book fair but sometimes we get lucky. I wasn't able to go but last year, I believe, Sophie Kinsella and Cassandra Clare attended the book fair. I don't think anyone famous will attend this year, though. But if I'm wrong please let me know down below!

So this is why I would love to attend a book fair in an Britain or America because I've heard so many great things about them! And of course a lot more authors are present and there is more than 1 stall which sells books in English!

10. Books ordered online should have the cover that was mentioned on the site

Okay, I'm still pissed off about this one. I ordered Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell online in the blue cover version. However, I received it in pink. At the time, I had exams and I wasn't able to return it in time so I'm stuck with it. This is also part of the reason why I haven't read it yet.
This was not the last time this happened with that particular site.


What are your bookish wishes? Let me know down below!

6 comments:

  1. Great list! My library has been pretty good about ordering in books I request, but they have no system in place to let you know if they are getting it or not. Don't know if you have an e-reader, but I have found Scribd to be a pretty decent lending service for less than 10.00 a month. I have found some on there I don't really want to buy and my library does not have. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't know what's up with my library, they're very inconsistent with accepting books. Scribd sounds fun, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad that your book requests get rejected. My library is great about getting new books and making them available ASAP. Sometimes I have to wait on the list for a while, but eventually, I get the books I want to read. Hopefully, your library will improve in this area. It must be so annoying to get those rejections :(

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very annoying! Just today, I received an e-mail telling me A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness was rejected because it was published in 2012 and apparently that is considered too old for the collection. It would not frustrate me so much if they could come up with better reasons. Every time I get a stupid rejection (almost all the time) I request another one, this time I requested The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. I can’t really see how they can come up with a good enough reason to reject this one, so we’ll see…

    However, it's good to know not all libraries are like this, maybe I should move ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really go to the library anymore since they don't always have the books I'd like to read. It's annoying when they reject your requests like that.
    More time to read is a good one.
    Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I would like to go to the library more often to save money and space, but my library only has a small section of books I want to read and which means I don't really go anymore either.

      Delete