Thursday 25 February 2016

Starflight (Starflight #1) by Melissa Landers

Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.

When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...



-- Goodreads.com description --

This is my first Melissa Landers book and I really enjoyed it! At first I was hesitant to pick it up but after several days I finally gave in and purchased this book in hardback, which I don't normally do but the paperback isn't available yet. I read the book without the dustjacket and I most add that the paint of the hardcover rubbed off on my fingers, which I didn't enjoy at all. If I can bring myself to buy an expensive hardcover, it better be one of great quality!

Moving on to the actual story! I hoped this book would be a fluffy, cute, science fiction romance and I wasn't disappointed! I love romance stories that start out with an antagonistic relationship between the main character (Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books, so what did you expect?). Doran stars out as Solara's bully and he doesn't seem to possess any redeeming qualities, especially in the beginning. However, there is a lot of character development present in this book which was absolutely amazing!

One thing I didn't know before actually reading the book, is the fact that we get to different perspectives: one from Solara of course but we also get Doran's point of view! From the moment I read the first page, I knew I would love this book! I absolutely adore the characters, even all the secondary characters all amazing! I had a fantastic time reading Starflight and I'm actually sad it's over! Thankfully, we get a second book with two different main characters but I believe all the characters of this book will make an appearance.

I highly recommend Starflight if you are looking for a funny, fluffy, science fiction YA romance novel! I can't but give this book 5 out of 5 stars! I loved it! However, I would have preferred the paperback over the hardback, because the last one isn't very special (just plain dark blue and the title and author on the spine) and like I said, your fingers will be blue if you read the hardback.

Do you want to read Starflight or have you already finished it? Leave a comment down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment