Saturday 18 February 2017

Review Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening by Marjorie M. Liu and Sana Takeda (Artist)

Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900's Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steam punk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both and make them the target of both human and otherworldly powers. 

-- Goodreads.com description --











Monstress is a fantasy comic published in 2016. I read this while I was in a reading slump but I still really enjoyed it! The artwork is what initially drew me in and got me to buy it! The visualization of these characters and their world is absolutely amazing. If I just had to review the art style I would give this 5 out of 5 stars without a second thought. It's simply that stunning! However, there is the storyline to rate as well.





I really enjoyed the characters, Maika, a foxlike creature Kippa, and a cat called Master Ren among others. Together with the art, the characters made me want to read on. The fantasy elements were interesting as well, however there are a lot of information gaps which some readers might find confusing. I was okay with most of them, although a little bit more world building wouldn't have done any harm.

I'm definitely picking up the next volume when it comes out! This was an amazing read! I liked the art the most, then the characters and the plot. I really want to know where these characters will end up! It ended on a plot twist that completely blew me away!

Be aware that this comic is graphic and explicit and contains both violent and sexual images. This comic is intended for a mature audience.

Since I do have some minor problems with the plot and the information gaps and at times not enough world building, I give Monstress 4 out of 5 stars! I highly recommend it to fans of fantasy comics!

No comments:

Post a Comment