Friday 31 July 2015

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

From the much-buzzed-about author of THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB (already blurbed by Stephenie Meyer, Lauren Myracle, and Jen Calonita), a prom-season delight of Jane Austen proportions.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date.
After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn't interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be - especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
Lizzie is happy about her friend's burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles's friend, Will Darcy, who's snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn't seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it's because her family doesn't have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk - so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?



-- Goodreads.com description --

Prom and Prejudice is a modern teenage retelling of Jane Austen's classic, Pride and Prejudice. I've seen various modern film adaptation of P & P but I've never read one. I liked the description of Prom and Prejudice but I didn't really want to spend money on it, luckily I've found a way to read it online.

I don't need to tell you that Pride and Prejudice is my favourite Jane Austen novel. I've written a blog post on the various movie adaptations in existence, and found that my list still lacks a lot of adaptations that are inspired by the original. I've always felt a bit curious of fanfiction and ultimately I decided to just read it.

There is no question that no fanfiction no matter how good can ever be better than the original story. However, Elizabeth Eulberg made a good attempt. I liked the story, but I didn't love it.

In itself, Prom and Prejudice is a cute story and you will probably enjoy it if you are interested in reading it but if you haven't read the original you shouldn't go anywhere near it. My advice? Read the original first and if you can't get enough of it, read the fanfiction later.

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment