Tuesday 23 February 2016

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.


-- Goodreads.com description --

I don't own this book, it was a loan from my wonderful friend! I'm really pleased that I got to read this book, I've been wanting to for a while and now it finally happened! I have to say though that I wasn't as impressed by this book than so many other people seem to be.

My main problems with this book are all situated in the beginning. I had a very hard time getting in to the story and even liking the characters. Enjoying the characters is a very big deal for me. At about half way through the book, I eventually did start to slowly like the main character, thank God!

I believe I'm still in a reading slump, unfortunately, even though I thought Truthwitch got me out of it, I haven't been reading a lot lately. Reading The Kiss of Deception didn't help at all in overcoming the slump. I really had a hard time getting into the book, the beginning contains some very boring descriptions and I even felt the characters were dull. I started to enjoy the book more once I got halfway through. I do really want to read the second book, but I'm glad I didn't waste my money on this one when I could lend it from my friend!

The concept was so intriguing! A princess runs away to avoid an arranged marriage and is followed by the prince and an assassin. We get several perspectives and the reader has to guess who is the prince and who is the assassin. Sounds cool, right? I thought so too, but it was boring!

The romance itself felt too like insta love, which is not something I particularly enjoy. I do not actually have a favourite love interest, I don't actually care who Lia ends up with, which is sad. The second part of the book is more based on an adventure and some amazing new characters were introduced which is what redeemed this book for me! It made me want to read on, because, truthfully, I almost marked this book as dnf.

This book was also way too long! Especially the first hundred pages could have been much shorter. However, since I did really enjoy the second half of the book, and the fact that I'm currently in a reading slump, made me give the book 4 out of 5 stars after all but I'm still having doubts if a 3 or less would have been more accurate.

Have you read this book? Let me know your thoughts down below! I also would like to know if the second book is worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment