Thursday 30 March 2017

Review: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Alternate cover edition can be found here. The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one function: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred's nor that of the two men on which her future hangs. Brilliantly conceived and executed, this powerful evocation of twenty-first-century America gives full rein to Margaret Atwood's devastating irony, wit and astute perception.


-- Goodreads.com --











I LOVED The Handmaid's Tale! It's seriously a book everyone should read. It actually gave me chills. The month of March was also the perfect time to read it, as on the eighth of March was International Women's Day! Also, Hulu's adaptation of Margaret Atwood's novel is coming out in April. I saw the new trailer and it's looking really good! Can't wait to watch it!

The Handmaid's Tale is considered a modern classic and a feminist read and I agree with both labels. Margaret Atwood is becoming one of my favourite authors! I've also read and loved The Blind Assassin, which I highly recommend, of course.

I don't want to give too much away about the plot of The Handmaid's Tale, I didn't know much before reading it, and I prefer it that way. I was at times confused though, primarily in the beginning of the novel. It actually took me about 130 pages to figure out the names and was shocked both by their significance and the fact I didn't realize it sooner!

Gilhead actually scares me a lot. Even though it's a dystopian story, I can actually imagine it happening in real life. Therefore, I think this book is incredibly important because this kind of future should absolutely be avoided. The novel was actually published in 1985, but I believe now is the perfect time to read it.

Obviously, I gave it 5 out of 5 stars! This book made me think, shocked me and held me completely in its grip. I feel like everyone can get something out of reader this book and therefore, I would recommend it to anyone as well! If you haven't read this one, you should definitely do so soon! Now let's the TV show will be as great as the book, in as far that's possible.

Have you read The Handmaid's Tale? Or are you planning to? Leave your thoughts down below! Also, I would love some recommendations on which Atwood book to pick up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment