Friday 10 March 2017

Review: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

An unflinching, darkly funny, and deeply moving story of a boy, his seriously ill mother, and an unexpected monstrous visitor.

At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth. From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd-- whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself-- Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined.

-- Goodreads.com description --



I borrowed the movie edition of A Monster Calls from my bookbestie! This book completely and utterly broke my heart! I had to fight my tears at so many points, needless to say this book really got to me! I believe other editions of the novel contain drawings by Jim Kay and I think that would definitely add something more to the reading experience. So, if possible get those editions!

Conor has a very difficult life, his father lives in America with his new family, his mother has cancer, his grandmother and him do not get along and he gets bullied every day at school. Then, one night, a tree transforms into a monster and starts visiting Conor at 12:07 almost every day.

This is a book about love, hope and how to cope told through the eyes of thirteen year old Conor. I highly recommend this book to everyone. Really, readers of all ages will enjoy this!

Obviously, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars! I still have the feeling I'm about to cry when I think about this book. At some points I recognized myself in this book and even though I'm in my twenties the monster did end up teaching me something: it's okay.

This is a very well-known book but if for some reason or other you haven't had to chance to read it yet, I would highly recommend you do! It's definitely worth your time! There is also a movie adaption of this novel available and I'm going to watch and review it soon!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful book! :-) I'm glad you enjoyed it Lynn!

    ReplyDelete