Sunday 14 May 2017

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all. 

-- Goodreads.com description --



A Court of Wings and Ruin was probably my most anticipated book this year and I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed. My overall reading experience of this book was different than my beloved second one. I couldn't put down A Court of Mist and Fury, and I kept thinking about it till the third book came out. 

I wasn't as gripped by the third book, and to be honest, I actually put the book down for a couple of days and didn't even think about it once. I just got to around page 150 and in my opinion the next 200 pages were sooo boring. There is no action and barely any character development, it seriously could have just been let out of the book entirely.

Boredom was not something I would have expected from this book after reading acomaf, and that was the first thing which made me feel disappointed.

Secondly, I would have liked to see Feyre's powers developing and being used in dramatic ways. However, when the big fights arrive, she just mostly keeps busy doing other things, okay, I'll grant you, those were important too, but I expected a really epic battle in which you could see Feyre's full fighting potential.

Thirdly, I kind of feel that the relations between all the characters were not as tight as in the second book, for some reason (Feyre's sisters excluded). I didn't feel like they were all a tight family, which could have been completely my fault and probably is, but I expected more of those heartfelt moments we got in the second book.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but there were quite a lot of plot holes in this novel, and I really didn't care for those. I'll blame it on the fact Sarah J. Maas wants to write other stories in this world, but still, especially things with Vassa should have been explored more.

Lastly, it has been a week since I finished A Court of Wings and Ruin, and I never catch myself unconsciously thinking about, which was something I couldn't help doing with A Court of Mist and Fury. I think the book overall just felt flat to me. In the end I gave this book 4 stars, but I may still lower this rating. The overall feeling this book gave me was disappointment.

I will definitely read the other books Sarah J. Maas is writing in this world and I really want to read a book about Azriel, Cassian as well, but I feel there is so much more to know about Azriel, it could definitely become a great book.


Have you read A Court of Wings and Ruin? Or are you planning to? Leave your thoughts down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment