Saturday 23 September 2017

Stacking the Shelves: Graduation Book Haul

Stacking the Shelves is a meme co-hosted by Reading Reality and Tynga's Reviews. Each week bloggers share the books they got. I officially graduated on Wednesday, a Master degree in English and Spanish linguistics and literature. I am now still studying to get a teacher's degree which hopefully will be done around January if I can plan my teaching practice accordingly.




After the proclamation, I went to some bookstores in Ghent to celebrate. The first three I got in Het Paard van Troje.


1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas


I went into this bookstore to get this edition of The Count of Monte Cristo and Middlemarch, however, they didn't have the last one anymore, so I decided to buy two other books instead :)

2. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


Honestly, I already had a copy of Anna Karenina but I simple couldn't resist this gorgeous Vintage edition. Hopefully, I finally feel motivated enough to pick it up!

3. Poems by Wilfred Owen


Since I wrote my thesis on First World War literature, it only felt natural to get this collection of Great War poems by Wilfred Owen.


Then we went to The English Book Shop, a second-hand bookstore in Ghent and I got the following three books.

4. The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan


Once again, I already owned a copy of this book but I mistakenly ordered the mass market paperback version and I really dislike reading classics or literary fiction in such a small font. So when I saw the hardcover for a cheap price, I was fated to pick it up. I am currently reading this book, I just had to pick it up!

5. The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard #3) by Scott Lynch 


I have read and loved The Lies of Locke Lamora and I own the sequel, when I saw the correct edition to match my other books, I couldn't resist. I hope to continue the series soon!

6. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth


If you follow this blog, you're probably tired of me going on about my thesis and the fact that I studied an Indian Great War novel. I can't guarantee this is the last time I'll mention it, but if been wanting to read A Suitable Boy for some time now, and when I saw it, it felt right to get it on that day. If you have more recommendations of books set in India, please let me know!



Have you read any of the books mentioned above or are you planning to? Which books did you get recently? Leave your thoughts down below! 

If you have a blog, don't forget to leave the link, so I can leave a comment on your blog as well!

Lastly, if you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog via e-mail or 'Bloglovin!

22 comments:

  1. Graduation is an excellent excuse to get books. So many congratulations! Enjoy both the accomplishment and the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! To be honest, I haven't stopped smiling since :)

      Delete
  2. Hey another Belgian blogger *waves* :D I love that edition of The Count of Monte Cristo. <3

    http://bookfever11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! I can't believe I haven't noticed that before! Where are you from? I'm from Aalter :)

      I ADORE that edition of The Count of Monte Cristo so much, I'll probably be too scared to actually read it :p

      Delete
    2. Merksem :) It's so rare to find Belgian bloggers. (And I never know if I should type in English or Dutch lol)

      Delete
    3. It's really nice to meet you! Haha, same problem! I even changed my name, Lien, to Lynn because of that (only for this blog, though)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your graduation! I haven't read any of the books you listed yet but I hope you enjoy them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing haul and those classics:) I got my first Penguin clothbound edition this week :D I hope to collect more soon.

    Here is my STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! I love Locke Lamora, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, congratulations. So happy for you. I hope you enjoy your new books. Happy reading and have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Enjoy your books and your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on graduating! I recently graduated with my master's, so I understand how monumental this is for you. Undergrad is nothing compared to the work of a grad student. I'm so happy it's over for you! :)

    Enjoy your new lovelies, and thanks for visiting Shell's Stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Congrats on your graduation as well!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your graduation! That is so exciting. You will make a great teacher. I wish you the best with the teaching program. It looks like you found some real gems this week. I love that cover of Anna Karenina. My husband really enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora, and I hope to read it one of these days. I hope you like the second and third books! Enjoy your new books, Lynn! Again, congratulations on your accomplishments! I hope you are doing something fun to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I adore that Anna Karenina cover as well! You really should read The Lies of Locke Lamora, it's really good! And yes, I celebrated with my family and bookbestie and lots of cava! :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on graduating! And your books are really cool and pretty :) I would like to read A Suitable Boy one day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'll get the chance to do so!

      Delete